Whatcom is from an Indian word meaning noisy water. Its county seat is Bellingham.
Records show this congregation was organized by church planter W. F. Cowden as First Christian Church of New Whatcom. Charter members included Mrs. O. P. Brown, Virgil Peringer, G. L. Jackman and George Boyd. The year was probably 1891.
William F. Cowden
The first services were held in homes. Next, Rogers Hall at N. Forest and E. Chestnut was rented for regular services. Following this, a building was built at Halleck and C Streets and occupied in 1892. The building dedication was by William F. Cowden on December 13, 1891.
The name was later changed to the Church of Christ. The first resident minister was Frank Muse in 1892. Under his leadership the church grew to 80 members.