One story has it that the beginning of the Christian Church here was two ladies holding classes to teach their children the ways of Jesus. That was about 1890.
Mrs. Dorothy Gillespie and Mrs. McCoy began to teach their daughters and soon they were meeting in the home of Mrs. C. L. Haggard. Now there were 12 children and adults.
A. L. Crim
R. E. Dunlap and Seattle banker H. O. Shuey came at times to help. Later the group moved to a rented hall.
Church planter William Cowden helped the group organize in 1893 with 12 charter members. By 1898 a building was purchased and dedicated for the use of the church. It could seat 200 people.
The building was located at the SW corner of Wall and Wetmore Avenue, across a vacant lot from the fire department on Wetmore.
In 1902 A. L. Crim was the minister. Mr. Crim attended Kentucky University and had preached in several communities in Indiana before moving west. In 1915, Mr. Crim was minister of the Portland congregation that became Central Christian Church.