THE NEW TESTAMENT: AN UNDERSTANDABLE VERSION Table of Contents
1) [This is being written by] the elder to my dear [friend] Gaius, whom I love in the truth. [Note: This probably means Awhom I truly love@].
2) [My] dearly loved [friend], I am praying that you will do well in everything [materially?],and that you will have [good] health, just as your soul [i.e., your spiritual life] is doing well. 3) For I was very happy when some of the brothers came and told me that you are being [faithful] to the truth [i.e., the word of God], and that you are living according to it, [as well]. 4) I do not have any greater joy than to hear that my [spiritual] children are living according to the truth.
5) Dear [friend], you are accomplishing a faithful work whenever you do something for the brothers [traveling in the Lord=s work], especially when they are strangers [to you]. 6) These people testify about your love [for them] before the [assembled] church. You will be doing a good thing to send them on their journey in a way that is pleasing to God [i.e., by furnishing them with travel expenses for their ministry]. 7) For they went out, [ministering] for the sake of [Jesus=] name, without taking [any money] from Gentiles [i.e., non-Christians]. 8) Therefore, we should show hospitality to such men, so that we can be fellow-workers [with them] in [the cause of] the truth.
9) I wrote a letter to the church [there], but Diotrephes, who loves to be first [in importance] among the members [of the body there], does not receive us [i.e., he did not listen to or acknowledge the authority of us apostles]. 10) So, if I come [to visit you], I will remind you of what he is doing, [such as] using wicked words to talk nonsense against us [apostles]. And, not being satisfied with that, he [also] refuses to welcome the [other] brothers, andprevents [other] people from doing so [i.e., from welcoming these brothers], and even kicks them out of the church [for trying to].
11) Dear [friend], do not imitate what is evil, but [only] what is good. The person who does what is good is [a child] of God; the one who does evil has not seen God [spiritually]. 12) Demetrius has been given [a favorable] commendation by everyone, and [is commended] by the truth itself. We [apostles] also give him [a favorable] commendation and you know that our testimony [about these things] is true.
13) I had many things [I wanted] to write you about, but I do not want to do it with pen and ink, 14) because I hope to see you soon, and [then] we can speak face to face.
15) May there be peace in your lives. Our friends [here] send you their greetings. [I ask that you also] greet each of our friends [there] by name.
Table of Contents
Copyright © 1994 by William E. Paul.
Used by permission. All rights reserved. The AUV text may be quoted in any form (written, visual, electronic, or audio), up to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses or less without written permission, providing the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible, do not comprise 25% or more of the total text of the work in which they are quoted, and the verses are not being quoted in a commentary or other Biblical reference work. This permission is contingent upon an appropriate copyright acknowledgment.
The AUV database is not a shareware program and may not be duplicated.